"I just got us a massage for Thursday," Tyler said. "We've been talking about getting one for years, so I thought it would be a great way to celebrate our 3 year. After, we can go get dinner and dessert at this new place Dad has been talking about. He got a gift card from work but it expires at the end of this month and he won't be able to use it, so he gave it to me."
Who could say no to an hour and a half massage? Oh, and did I mention the sugar foot scrub?! Not too shabby.
Thursday came and everyone acted as if it was a regular day (I later found out the family knew, and I was shocked because there were no warning signs whatsoever!) Example: Mom mentioned cooking roast for supper.
Tyler later tells me this almost gave him a heart attack because the plans would have been ruined. Mom said she was trying to act as normal as possible because she knew I'd be asking about dinner soon. Thank goodness I said no to roast!
Tyler picked me up for our massage around 4:30 PM.
On our way to the massage place, I saw a dog walking down a busy highway. This concerned me. Anyone who knows me in the slightest bit knows that I save every creature that walks -turtles, spiders, locusts, worms, dogs, cats...and I hate to say it but even roaches. I can't kill anything!
We pulled over, and I tried to get the dog in the car by hopping in the back seat and letting the dog sit in the passenger seat! Without my knowledge, the box that the ring came in was sitting in the backseat! I never saw it once!
Although he was a friendly dog, he was stubborn and refused to comply. We were late to our appointment, so we left. Wah. :(
We checked in to the massage place and they took us to our room. The facility was beautiful, and we knew we were about to get the best massage of our lives.
Wrong.
I think my massage therapist was trying to kill me. I mean literally kill me. She would put her whole body weight onto my back and rub my veins/bones back and forth with her elbow (I think she thought my veins were knots, but I'm just really boney.) I am also very ticklish, so at points I wanted to belt out a laugh. I just bit my cheeks instead.
At one point during the massage, I literally told myself that what I was going through wasn't as bad as Jesus being crucified, and that I should just handle it like a man. So I did.
After our massage (by the way, I was sore for 3 days) we headed onto dinner. I mentioned PF Changs, and Tyler said that was a good idea because it was right next to our "dessert location."
On the way there, Tyler said, "do you think you're gonna be in the mood for dessert after?"
I stuck out my hand and said, "My name is Kaylyn. It's nice to meet you." He said, "good. That's what I thought." (Anyone knows I can't pass up dessert. I would rather have dessert first!)
PF Changs was delicious! I got the sweet and sour chicken, and Tyler got the fried rice with eggs and lump crab meat. At one point during our dinner, Tyler said his "hands were lotion from the massage" and that he needed to go "wash them off in the bathroom." Little did I know that he was making a call to his grandfather.
Here's the scoop: Tyler's grandfather used to work at Butler Snow (a law firm) in Ridgeland as a security guard. Once, during his shift, he let us go to the top floor as the sun was setting to check out the view of Jackson. It was magically beautiful. Sweet Papaw pulled a few strings to allow Tyler to take me to the top again.
I had no idea that would be where I was standing when Tyler proposed to me.
We finished dinner, and we were off to get "dessert". Tyler was telling me about all of the wonderful desserts they would have: cheesecake, bundt cakes, cupcakes. He's got an imagination doesn't he?
And then he gets a call in the car: "Hey Papaw, did you mean to call me?" He hangs up and says his Papaw accidentally pocket called him.
My thought: at 9:30 at night?
This was a way for Tyler to alert his Papaw that we were on our way.
We got out of the car. Upon entering into the building, I remember thinking there wasn't a person in sight except the security guard and a man mopping the floor. We signed in, and a guy escorted us into the elevator.
Papaw later told us that the janitor mopping the floor had opened the very closet that Papaw was hiding in, and Papaw actually saw us walking towards the elevator at that very moment. I can't even imagine the look on his face (and the janitor's face). But the janitor minded his own business and closed the closet door without asking any questions. He was probably very concerned, though, with a strange man hiding in his closet.
We got off the elevator and the escort pointed us to the door that the "restaurant" was at. It was locked. This set off the first white flag in my head.
My thoughts: why would a restaurant door be locked? That doesn't sound very safe!
We headed into a hallway that led onto the balcony, and I started getting a weird feeling that something was off.
Tyler opened the balcony door. It was just us two and 40 miles and 180 degree views of nothing but glistening lights from downtown. You could see everything. Even the cars looked like Tonka trucks, just like they do when you're on an airplane that is just leaving the runway.
He took something out of his pocket and said, "think you can read this without dropping it?"
And there it was:
A letter from my dad in his handwriting on a moleskine he had given Tyler a while back.
What I found was my boyfriend, on one knee, placing a beautiful ring on my hand. A ring that I had picked out with my mother and grandmother. A ring that he had worked so hard to save up for.
And, of course, my answer was yes.
With a little more hugs, screams and glances off the balcony, Tyler's brother showed up with an iphone in tow. The video doesn't last long. In fact, you don't even see us. But it's so nice to be able to sense the excitement in him. I now have a new brother, mother and father, and I couldn't be happier.
And here is an email from the secretary planning the surprise:
With that being said, it flew by so fast. Can we do it again?
And yes, we're really excited about this fiancé thing. :)








No comments:
Post a Comment
This blog wouldn't be near as meaningful if I didn't know a little about you. Comment below! I visit all of my commenter's pages.